Founded with a bequest of $100,000 from the Reverend Benjamin Wofford, Wofford College opened in Spartanburg, South Carolina, in August 1854. More than 150 years later, the college remains on its original campus, a national arboretum. Five of its earliest six buildings are in daily use. Throughout its history, Wofford has maintained its connection with South Carolina Methodism and has benefited from the support of its alumni. Many of its 15,500 living alumni maintain strong ties to the college and to each other. The awarding of a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1941 recognized the college's dedication to the liberal arts and its commitment to academic excellence. Though the student body has grown from around 500 before World War II to nearly 1,500 in 2010, Wofford retains its commitment to developing relationships between students and professors.