(History Books, Egyptian Mythology Books, History of Ancient Egypt)
For the first time in 3,300 years, The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth by Day: The Papyrus of Ani is showcased in its entirety in seventy four magnificent, large-format, color pages.
Maybe the most stunning presentation of this book in 3300 years: Upon death, it was the practice for some Egyptians to produce a papyrus manuscript called the
Book of Going Forth by Day or the Book of the Dead.
A Book of the Dead included declarations and spells to help the deceased in the afterlife. The Papyrus of Ani is the manuscript compiled for Ani, the royal scribe of Thebes. Written and illustrated almost 3,300 years ago,
The Papyrus of Ani is a papyrus manuscript with cursive hieroglyphs and color illustrations. It is the most beautiful, best-preserved, and complete example of ancient Egyptian philosophical and religious thought known to exist.
The Egyptian Book of the Dead is an integral part of the world's spiritual heritage. It is an artistic rendering of the mysteries of life and death. For the first time since its creation, this ancient papyrus is now available in full color with an integrated English translation directly below each image. This twentieth-anniversary edition of
The Egyptian Book of the Dead has been revised and expanded to include:
• Significant improvements to the display of the images of the Papyrus.
• A survey of the continuing importance of ancient Egypt in modern culture.
• A detailed history of Egyptian translation and philology since the discovery of the Rosetta Stone in 1799.
• And, a state-of-the-art Annotated Bibliography and Study Guide for Ancient Egyptian studies.
As the third revised edition, the entire corpus of this critical work is given its most accessible and lavish presentation ever.
• Includes a detailed history of Egyptian scholarship, an annotated bibliography and study guide, and several improvements to the color plates.
• Makes an excellent gift for people interested in world history and ancient religions.
Dr. Raymond Faulkner (1894-1982) - renowned British Egyptologist - was a major contributor to the field of Egyptian philology, the translator of many important texts, and the author of numerous scholarly publications.Dr. Ogden Goelet is Associate Research Scholar of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies at New York University.J. Daniel Gunther is an author and editor who also serves as a consultant and advisor for numerous publications in the field of occultism.James Wasserman is an author and book designer in Florida whose innovative vision shaped the unique format of this book.